A Lactation consultant provides services to help a parent reach their breastfeeding/feeding goals. Services are provided in the comfort of the family’s home or in our office space at Portland Family Health. The consultant will serve as a resource for parents by providing accurate, evidence-based information and practical support. Throughout the visit, the lactation consultant uses their knowledge and experience to assess the current situation in order to come up with a plan that best needs your individual needs and goals.
What takes place at a lactation visit?
- Thorough health and birth history obtained
- Discussion of feeding goals
- Take infant’s weight
- Observation of mother and baby during a feed
- Help with breastfeeding latch and positioning
- Assessment of amount of milk transferred during feeding
- Oral exam performed (only if this is ok with you) to evaluate baby’s sucking skills for strength and range of motion
- Breast exam (with permission only)
- Discuss any problems or concerns
- Create an individualized care plan that will work for you
- Follow-up phone call
- Follow-up visits and weight checks scheduled as needed
Fees for Services:
- We currently offer prenatal and postpartum lactation support home visits, office visits at Portland Family Health, or visits at your hospital or birthing center.
- Please call or email Bliss Lactation for a full list of fees for services.
- Chelsea is currently an in-network provider (IBCLC) with Aetna. For any other insurance plan, payment will be collected at time of service and a superbill with codes will be provided to submit to your company for possible reimbursement.